NGSS Science Assessment
RINI will administer the state mandated science assessment for all grade 11 students on May 8, 2019, beginning at 8:15 am.
Advanced Course Network – enrichment opportunities for students
registration open until May 31
RIDE is excited to announce that registration is now open for Summer, Fall, and Yearlong courses on www.RICourseChoice.org. The ACN is designed to help Rhode Island schools create opportunities for public school students to identify, pursue, and realize their post-high school path. Enriching experiences with advanced coursework help students get a head start on postsecondary success, master the skills required of a lifelong learner, and be prepared for jobs in sectors critical to Rhode Island’s future prosperity.
Registration for Summer, Fall, and Yearlong courses will be open until May 31, 2019 on a first-come-first-serve basis. More information and available courses can be found on www.RICourseChoice.org, and questions about the Advanced Course Network can be directed to Ms. Keating, Mrs. Bouley, or email@example.com.
RINI 10th grade students who are participating in the Providence Public Library Teen Squad Program; Data Navigators will present their Youth Showcase highlighting their data visualization projects on Thursday, May 30, 2019, 11:30 AM-12:30 PM at the Providence Public Library, the Ship Room, 225 Washington Street, Providence. Families and guests are invited to attend. Please contact the main office at the school to let us know you will be attending.
It’s time to celebrate! RINIMC senior students will celebrate college decision day on May 3, 2019, during advisory. Students should show their college pride by wearing apparel from the college that they will be attending in the fall. Refreshments will be served and there will be time to relax and rejoice in the decisions and the achievements of RINI seniors. The college wall outside of the cafeteria displays all of the colleges that students have been accepted to and students are encouraged to share their acceptance letters with Ms. Keating.
In order to qualify for financial aid, including the RI Governor’s Promise Program for CCRI tuition, students must complete the federal FAFSA forms. Some scholarships and assistance is awarded on a rolling basis, so it is important to get these forms completed as soon as possible. Students will need parents’ tax and income information in order to complete these forms. For assistance, please contact Ms. Keating.
Governor’s Workforce Board to fund RINI summer youth employment
Please see the press release about the funding received by RINI for our summer internship program. For more information, contact Mrs. Wozniak, firstname.lastname@example.org.
RINI has several other opportunities for employment and enrichment for students over the summer. Please contact Mrs. Wozniak for additional information. email@example.com
Several RINI healthcare partners have employment opportunities for licensed CNAs. Please contact Mrs. Wozniak for information.
RINI Upcoming Events
RI Nurses Institute Middle College Board of Directors Meeting
The RINI Board of Directors meets monthly except in July and December. The next meeting is May 9, 2019 5:00-6:30 pm. Interested families can view the agenda and minutes of the meetings on the RI Secretary of State website or can request that information from the school. Board meeting dates are listed on the RINI website at www.rinimc.org
We invite you to join us at Siena for authentic Tuscan fine dining cuisine in a warm Italian farmhouse atmosphere while investing in the success of our students. We are the first and only middle college in the country dedicated to preparing a diverse group of students to become the highly educated future nursing workforce.
Siena Restaurant, 400 Putnam Pike, Smithfield, RI 02917
See the invitation and purchase tickets online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rini-middle-college-spring-fundraiser-tickets-59226873172.
Tickets also available at the door.
From Lifespan Community Health Institute
May will be Mental Health Month. Mental health is not always an easy topic to discuss, yet it should be at the forefront, as our thoughts and mental state determine our everyday actions. In that spirit, along with various partners, on May 4 we will offer the Temas Familiares Workshops themed Your Thoughts and your Health, delivered in Spanish, for those who speak the language in the community. See the Lifespan newsletter for the flyer for this event and for other important community information and opportunities:
From RIPIN, Rhode Island Parent Information Network
RIPIN is a valuable community resource that offers many opportunities for families. Upcoming events include:
- Discrimination and Mental Health Parity, May 14, 9:00 am & May 23, 6:00 pm
- Self-directed Supports, Friday, May 3, 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- Basic Rights in Special Education, Thursday, May 9, 4:30 – 6:30 pm
- College Panel, Friday, May 31, 12:30 – 2:00 pm
View these additional workshops any time at RIPIN.org/online-learning
- Basic Rights in Special Education
- Section 504: A Parent’s Guide
- Sección 504: Una Guia Para Padres
- Bullying and Harassment of Students with Disabilities
- La intimidación y el acoso de los estudiantes con discapacidades
- Family Guide to RI MTSS
- Transition from Early Intervention to the Successful Preschool IEP Meeting
Information and registration can be found at: https://ripin.org/ or call RIPIN: 401-270-0101
Adult Literacy XPRIZE
The Adult Literacy XPRIZE Communities Competition is a national challenge to expand access to education for adult learners through the use of technology. It is designed to “tackle the problem of adult low-literacy by putting free learning tools in the hands of those who need them the most, so learning can happen anytime, anywhere.”
- Start by reading the Team WorldEd FAQ. Then, download the apps to review them yourself and pick one or two to share with learners and other prospective app users.
- Use Team World Ed code 3366 to access the apps in the Google Play Store. Each app begins at basic literacy and starts with a literacy level assessment. The log-in features vary from app to app.
Take advantage of this limited-time opportunity now! The four apps are available free of charge only through August 2020, but must be downloaded by August 2019 and accessed at least 3 times.
- Commissioner Infante-Green, new RI Education CommissionerJoin the new commissioner in a parent forum on Thursday, May 2, from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. at PCTA.In collaboration with ProvParents, Parents Leading for Educational Equity (PLEE) and the RI Parent Information Network, incoming Commissioner Infante-Green will host a public forum for families during her first week in Rhode Island. There will be opening remarks from the new Commissioner, a facilitated discussion with a panel of parent advocates, and then time for open Q&A.
RSVP link can be found through a brief SurveyMonkey. The survey also encourages attendees to submit questions for the Commissioner, some of which may be answered at the event, and others may be shared after-the-fact on social media.
- Ms. Vivian Medina, Board member and Parent Organization President is willing and available to assist any family member with issues related to the school or to their children. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the main office.Please feel free to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns: 401 680-4900